Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation
Applying our inter-disciplinary environmental and social sciences expertise, CENARE works with private and public sector clients to assess, develop, and implement climate change mitigation and adaptation initiatives.
Our services include supporting projects and policies aimed at using carbon finance and other incentives to promote sustainable development, developing climate change strategies as well as analysis of climate trends and modelling of climate change impacts to aid the development of appropriate mitigation and adaptation strategies.
This service area also includes assessment and development of climate financing options that create opportunities for sustainable development especially in relation to the natural resource management, land use and energy sectors.
As the world strives to take action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, CENARE Advisory works with clients to support the design and implementation of climate mitigation projects and programmes with a focus on practical, attainable, and cost-effective solutions.
Services and expertise:
- Design and assessment of Reduced Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+) projects
- Coastal zone management initiatives and mangroves
- Carbon stock assessments in a range of forest ecosystems
- Map historical change for land cover and land use assessments
- Develop scenarios of future land use changes using advanced spatial modelling
- Environmental and social assessment of mitigation projects and proposed investments
- Stakeholder consultation, engagement, capacity building and training to implement mitigation initiatives
Adaptation and Resilience
The impacts of climate change are occurring around the world and especially in Africa in different ways and at different rates. CENARE Advisory works with clients to evaluate and assess climate change risks and impacts on resources, people, communities, and projects. We work across sectors such as forestry, infrastructure, and agriculture, and with local communities, governments, and indigenous groups to develop adaptation strategies and support climate-resilient decision-making. Drawing on years of experience working on projects in vulnerable regions around Africa we leverage our collective knowledge with innovation and technology.
Services and expertise include:
- Vulnerability and climate change impact assessment
- Climate change and disaster risk management (DRM) strategies
- Government agency and community engagement to mainstream adaptation considerations into decision-making
- Downscaling and evaluation of climate change scenarios for specific regions
- Stakeholder consultation, engagement, capacity building and training
- Adaptation planning and adaptive capacity